Colapsar
X

• Filtrar
  • Tiempo
  • Mostrar
Limpiar Todo
nuevos mensajes

• Nets’ Jason Collins makes Time Magazine’s ‘100 Most Influential’ list

Collins, who became the first openly gay NBA player after signing with the Nets earlier this year, called the recognition a 'cool honor' and thanked the people 'who have helped me get to where I am.'

BY MITCH ABRAMSON

When Jason Collins announced he was gay last April, it was a watershed moment. Upon signing a 10-day contract with the Nets in late February, Collins was again in the news, the first openly gay player to ink a deal with an NBA club. Time Magazine recognized these trailblazing moments on Thursday, naming the veteran center to its list of "100 Most Influential People in the World" for his pioneering efforts and placing him on a number of regional covers.

Collins was his usual understated self in discussing the achievement.
    "It's a cool honor," Collins said Thursday following practice. "But I know I'm not just doing this by myself. There have been a lot of people who have helped me get to where I am, a lot of people who have made the path easier for me, and that's the one thing I hope I'm doing for other people is making it easier for them to live their authentic life."

UMass guard Derrick Gordon told the Huffington Post he spoke with Collins before he decided to publicly come out, becoming the first NCAA Div. I men's player to do so. Gordon said the act of Collins signing a contract for the rest of the season inspired him to reveal he's gay.

The Time Magazine column was penned by Chelsea Clinton, who knew Collins when they were both freshmen at Stanford and whom Collins called a "good friend." Collins said he texted Clinton Thursday morning and claims he wasn't aware of the honor until he saw the magazine that morning.
    "Yeah, it was really cool," Collins said. "I texted her this morning and, because obviously we talk every now and then, and was like, 'How did you?' She kept it a secret from me. Although my sister-in-law, my brother's wife, she did know, and my sister-in-law is good at keeping secrets, as well."

Collins said he spoke to Clinton before he disclosed his sexuality in a Sports Illustrated cover story.
    "Before about a year ago, before all of this broke, I called her and asked for her advice on how to live your life in the public eye," Collins said. "And her words were a great piece of advice."

Jason Kidd, who played with Collins for the Nets and was involved in the team's decision to sign Collins, smiled at the mention of the Time Magazine story."It's nice to know one of the Top 100," said Kidd, who downplayed the role he played in bringing Collins to Brooklyn. "I didn't do anything," he said. "His basketball talent, his personality -- if it wasn't us it was going to be someone else. So again, we're happy to have him on board just like we said from day one."

Collins was also honored in another way on Thursday: President Barack Obama appointed Collins to be on his President's Council on Fitness, Sports and Nutrition.

“I am grateful that these impressive individuals have chosen to dedicate their talents to serving the American people at this important time for our country," Obama said in a statement released by the White House. "I look forward to working with them in the months and years ahead.”

Source: Nets’ Jason Collins makes Time Magazine’s ‘100 Most Influential’ list
Trabajando...
X